Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sacchetti's Sacchetti!

Well.... here's one I simply could not ignore.   But first, for those of you that don't know me by my [real] name... I am John Sacchetti.  And the picture immediately below is of Sacchetti & sausage.  The spelling and pronunciation of my name, and my meal at Olive Garden are both identical. 



Through the years I have introduced myself to a number of folks that, try as they may, could never quite get the pronunciation right and so I would revert to phonetics to help them through their bumbling tongues.  A few days ago we set the RV up in "The Palms" RV park in Aransas Pass, Texas - by the way, it's a really nice park, but that's another story.  I was introducing myself to my new next door neighbor and he thought out loud... sacchetti..... Sacchetti!  Like the pasta dish at Olive Garden?  With a name like Sacchetti I got accustomed to a plethora of Italian jokes - NOW, after 65 years I am  hearing laughter without the punchline. 

The picture above is of five Sacchettis';  Becky Sacchetti, Sandra Ann (and only I am allowed to call her Sammy) Sacchetti, Sacchetti & Shrimp, Sacchetti & Sausage and just plain ole Sacchetti!  Fact is, the Sacchetti is quite similar to regular ravioli, perhaps a bit less pasta, and a bit more cheese.  And true to its "roots", Sacchetti is shaped appropriately.

The name Sacchetti (and pardon my interpretation) is a derivation of the Italian word for "sack", or "sacco".  Earlier last century, the one before and who knows how many prior to that, the Sacchettis' were sack (bag) makers in the old country.  Just for the heck of it, I tested it on freetranslation.com.  The translation from Sacchetti (Italian) to English was bags.  The reverse translation from Sacchetti (English) to Italian was sack.

So just when you thought it was safe to go out to Olive Garden for a relaxing meal.... you'll see me on the menu - and like Mikey use to say... "try it, you'll like it!".

1 comment:

  1. Great story! See ya' on my next trip to Olive Garden. Enjoy your stay in Texas.

    ReplyDelete