Saturday, May 22, 2010

How much did you say those clams cost per pound?

Here in Maine soft shell clams, also known as steamers, long necks, and spitters cost $2.50 a pound. In Billings Montana they would probably cost $6.50 or even more. Well, to be fair to those who dig clams commercially, the price needs to be adjusted upwards by a factor of 10! I went out onto Long Cove clam flats for 45 minutes - got 48 clams (about 2 pounds), 2 blisters, and one hell of a cardio workout.I described my clam rake in a previous post. That, a bucket, and a pair of good boots are all you need to go "clamming". Although as you'll see in a picture to follow, I am including a pair of long rubber gloves. If you look close in the picture above, you'll see me out there diggin' clams. I went a bit further out into the flats but I started sinking in to within a few inches of the top of my boots - so I came back in a bit. Below is a close up and as you can see, the mud is well up over my ankles. It is very hard to move around. The suction is unbelievably strong. To lift a leg, you need to twist your foot about 10 degrees and pull up immediately. Forget to do the little twist action before taking a step, your body will move forward but your foot will stay right where it was and you will go ass over tea cup into the cool, cool mud.

The process of raking clams is pretty straight forward, (referring to the close up) with one hand you push the tines of the rake into the mud right down to the bend in the tines a few inches from the tell tale hole that the clam made burrowing its way into the muck. Immediately after you rock the rake up and away from you which brings up about 5 pounds of mud and a clam if you read the signs right.Here's what I looked like after less than an hour on the flats. I learned that one other "tool" is needed - a supply of water to wash both clams and hand.





Here's what 48 (2 pounds of) spitters look like fresh from the flat. I was talking about finding the tell tale signs of finding clams. I learned first hand that day how they got their alternate name "spitters". When the clam is burrowing further into the mud, you'll see a stream of water come up from one of the holes - a sure thing!


Yes, I am a sucker for punishment and will get out there again. It is a great workout and you get a prize for your labor - lunch! There is a moral to this blog post... next time at your fish mongers or the seafood counter at the supermarket - don't complain about the price of clams - believe me, it is well worth the money - regardless of cost.



2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Maine! Glad to hear your opinion on the price of clams. Now, could you also share with the rest of the world of visitors the importance (not to mention the legality) of not taking undersized clams? Under 2 inches, that is. All too often visitors wish to have clams under that size for steamers. Unfortunately our resources are being depleted by unscrupulous buyers/dealers/diggers who opt to fulfill this wish. Having dug a few clams yourself, maybe you can appreciate the men who go out and dig 100 pounds or better every day of the week.

    Again, welcome back to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well #!!#. After reading the above comment, I tried to find my original (internet) source where I SWEAR to this day I read the minimum size for clams is 1-1/4"! I can't find my path back to it but upon reflection, I'll bet it was in reference to little necks.

    THE MINIMUM LENGTH FOR LONG NECK (STEAMERS) CLAMS IS TWO INCHES FOLKS.

    I know now and I found a ruler I can take with me... when I dig a clam I will wedge it between my thumb and pointer finger. If the clam is as long as my thumb, it's a good keeper!

    Thanks for straightening me out "anonymous".

    ReplyDelete