Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Fran & Davie Reunion

In the mid 1930's Francis (Franny) Sacchetti and Doris (Davie) Papa were married.  Some 65 years later their extended family counts some 34 folks.  So this was the first reunion of their entire clan.  And we were all there with only five exceptions - Al, Aron, Adam, Michelle and Gracie. 

Before getting on with this, I would like to grant my infamous "favorite" status to my favorite Brother Tom and his amazing wife Debbie - my favorite Sister-in-law.  It was obvious on all fronts that they expended incredible efforts to make this weekend one that no one in the family will ever forget.  Love ya guys!

Here's a few of the gals (Angie, Sammy... I mean Sandra, and Haylee) under the tent Tom & Deb erected on the beach before we all got there.  That Saturday was a hot one on the Jersey shore and that tent provided very welcome shade.
 
The two youngest guys, Ian and Ethan, spent most of the time at the reunion on the beach or in the water.  What's happening here is that I suckered Ian and Ethan OFF of the chair at the table - as soon as they realized what happened, they decided to crush my legs.  By the way, Ian is eating what I consider the single best tasting Italian Hoagie I have ever eaten.

As for the rest of us..(good luck)... Tom, Debbie, Ben, Jena, David, Tricia, Sheila, Sam, Francis, Lisa, Brian, Jacob, Ian, Lynnie, Dave Steven, Karen, Erik, Richard, me, Becky, Cari, Jeff, Haylee, Mackenzie, Nick, Ethan, Sammy and Angela. All accounted for, some thirty-four spread from coast to coast, and here and there in between. Well, try as you may, it was an impossible to catch all of us in one picture - at least I got all the names... err .... I think!



We gathered at Tom and Debbie's shore home in Margate City, NJ - just down the beach from Atlantic City and I am envious of their neighbors - not a single complaint was issued to the Margate Sheriff's Office for the raucous laughter that prevailed from early to late.  Laughter except for the dead silence during the meals.  Actually it was a none stop eating festival so I use the work "meals" simply as  reference points.  Here for example is one of many "between meal" gathering at the dining room table.  Snacking?  That puts it mildly!


Everyone brought something including a string of wine bottles that the kids arranged as dominoes on the table.  Nostalgic tastes from "The 24 Evelyn Park and Pittsfield" days,  a dozen favorite recipe, and a couple of full blown catered meals from local folks.  One meal was a hundred or so of the best little Italian Grinders I have ever eaten along with turkey, ham and veggie grinders for one lunch period.   Of course there were appetizer trays - and I mean the plural literally.  Again ... there was non stop eating so the lunch could be described in analogy as one of the waves that hadn't crashed ashore quite yet.  A catered supper time meal included a refreshing "change of pace" Paella (OK, I can't spell it... Pie - A - Ahhh) with a few sides including some really tasty roasted potatoes.  There were also chocolates, cookies, sconces, and half dozen different other pastries all mounded on trays.  God!  I almost forgot the Pasta, Meat Balls, Sausages, and Bracolli that Tom and Debbie made.  The kids use the letters OMG all the time.  I will also - Oh My God!  Desserts were being eaten all the time along with gallons of Italian Ice.  I don't eat desserts" but I know others did because at one point I could hear my Brother Tom yelling (to no avail I might add) .. "I thought dessert was suppose to be eaten AFTER the meal".  So I don't know... if there were a single word theme to describe the get together it would have been Mange!

Many of us hadn't seen each other in years and some of the new arrival and little people had never met at all.  There was that part of the gathering as well - all the kids clicked and at formal sit down meals you could see them all huddled together.  For the most part the kids were missing in action somewhere on the beach.

The house was only a few hundred feet from the beach so they kids beat many paths between.  All the kids managed to find new or old friends right at their age to be with.  Many of the folks had to bunk up at local hotels, I mean Margate (the name of the beach house) had at least five bedrooms but there just wasn't enough floor space for everyone.  I think it was Sunday morning I came down stairs - there was the young adult crowd, crashed on every couch, nook and cranny there was.

Let your imagination picture the bodies strewn everywhere - the picture I took with my camera didn't.  I suck at photography.

I suspect that judging by the empty bottles in the kitchen, they had exhausted their designated drivers and opted to, literally and figuratively, fall where they may - no car keys in sight.

I don't know if Tom & Debbie had other "events" planned or not - if so, the food got in the way. But Debbie was successful in organizing a seashell painting contest. Come to think of it - a winner was never named.  I think they were all winners!
 
We are a "huggy" family and the reunion was a great place to grab a hug here and a hug there  here a hug, there a hug, everywhere a hug hug (sorry - I entertain myself very easily) . It was really good for the little people to experience, and a bit later in life, pass the huggies thing on to their kids.  I don't know if I can express this last thought... Being with family is just about the most relaxing, peaceful place a person could be, and that's because I happen to have one fabulous family.  And even though time simply didn't allow a whole lot of one on one time, just seeing everyone milling around was a very satisfying experience. 
 
Mom & Dad (Fran & Davie) I know you were there with us.  We are thinking of you and couldn't love you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment