Thursday, June 14, 2012

Around Camp

Here's a bunch of pictures taken from around camp and fishing in the immediate area - :  Tillamook Bay headwaters and Jetty.

L-R:  Sherry K, Darold B, Becky, Doug K, Linda B

Ya don't get a whole lots of really pleasant sunny / partly cloudy days so Becky took advantage of this one and announced a Happy Hour gathering.  Cheryl from our immediate camp right also joined by timed her arrival until after the cameras were put away.

Here's Becky ..." I swear my chocolate cheese cake only has 5 calories!".

Doug takin care of business - Jenny Craig's business!


These two pictures are my absolute favorite - I couldn't help but add some text to them!


A pair of Eagles have a nest up on the hill side a few hundred yards from our camp.






The Oregon Coast Scenic Steam Train runs between Garibaldi and Rock-a-Way Beach just up the coast 10 miles or so. The sight and sound are really nostalgic.  It only runs on weekends this time of year.  Becky and I are going to go for a ride Saturday.  We'd better because this one coming will be our last full one here in Garibaldi.




A few Harbor Seals showed up in our little corner of the bay.  Hard to snap a picture as they kept their distance.  This guy is about 200 feet away


The color announces the end of the Happy Hour


Every so often unexpected color appears and catches my eye



And so... to the fishing!  Here is the largest Ling Cod - 40 inches tip to tail.  Well OK... it was only 34 inches - but that's a monster for that species.  And pretty good, good, very good, most excellent in the oven, pan, or breaded and deep fried.  Matter of fact, many restaurants charge extra for Fish'n'Chip using Cod.


I happened to hook this one but let me tell you something about an inexperienced fisherman (me for this type of fishing) tagging along with an experience fisherman (that'd be Doug).  It was Doug's boat, rod, reel, terminal tackle, expertise and boat handling that really caught that fish - all I did was hold the rod, crank the handle on the reel... and MOST importantly... I wore my "Lucky Hat".



Doug's wife, Sherry is AMAZING.  When we return to the harbor from fishing, Doug gives her a call and by the time we arrive at the boat ramp she already has the trailer back into the water to exactly the right depth (in case you don't know - that is super important to proper boat loading).  Once the boat is on the trailer she is standing by to attach the bow strap and before ya know it drives us over to the fish cleaning station.

Here I am handing Doug the fish from the box.  Above - 3 Ling Cod



You always save the biggest for last and here it is - a catch of a lifetime




My arms and hands were so sore Doug had to hold our LIMIT (2 each) of Ling Cod.  In the picture below Becky and I are taking a closer look at the TEETH in their mouth.  I should have taken a close up but didn't.  I also found out that Ling Cod can BITE you even when you're holding then through the gills.





Well,  good friends and great fishing.  Oregon - what a coast!

















No comments:

Post a Comment