Monday, October 5, 2009

Brocolli-Rabe

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a Brocolli-Rabe Sandwich and my favorite Niece. Brocolli-Rabe is a bitter, leafy Italian vegatable that is typically sauteed in EVO, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes.

Well you could have knocked me over with a feather today in the supermarket... right there... right next to the Brocolli....fresh BROCOLLI-RABE (BR). Honestly, I have never prepared and cooked BR but do remember watching my Mom do so.... and I do remember the smells that filled the kitchen. And so I gave it a shot. Here's what I did. If anyone can recommend a better way... let me know! BROCOLLI-RABE: SACCHETTI STYLE (for two bunches)

Get a large pan 3/4 full of heavily salted water going on the stove. While you're waiting for it to come [almost] to a boil, trim off the long, leaf-less stems of the BR.

When the water is about ready to boil, put all the BR into the water and let it sit in there for maybe 5 minutes. This will eliminate some of the bitter taste. Of course, if you like really bitter BR, then omit this step. Drain in a culander and reserve some of the salted water.

Meanwhile sliver up maybe 8 cloves of garlic and soften it up in 1/4 cup of EVO in a large sautee pan. Add salt and red chili pepper flakes.

When the garlic is softened, add the BR and a bit of the salted water to the sautee pan, cover the pan and turn occassionally. The BR is going to cook for about 10 minutes during which time test for taste and moisture and tenderness. Add EVO, salt, red pepper flakes according to your taste.

ABOUT 2 MINUTES INTO THE COOKING PROCESS I KNEW I WAS DOING SOMETHING RIGHT BECAUSE THE SMELL OF MY MOM'S KITCHEN FILLED THE TRAILER.

I guess there's no way to say this without tooting my own horn... but dammmm... it came out "just like Momma use to make".

TRY IT... YOU'LL LIKE IT!

I almost forgot the most important part... how to eat BR! It's best to put it in the fridge overnight. Pile the cold BR onto your favorite bread, sprinkle with white vinigar, a few shakes of salt and away you go! Of course if you have a niece like mine, who brings you "Pinot Gregio" vinigar... all the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment