Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Good Morning Deep Creek Lake............

...first note.... for whatever the reason, sometimes you can click on the pictures for a full screen view, other times not. I'll figure it out some day but until then... these pictures are clickable.

After a pretty long, exhausting, nerve racking day Sunday getting the trailer "winterized" for our one month stay at my Sister's lake house in Maryland..... this is what I saw the instant my eyes opened. The clouds were as dark and ominous as they appear, but the sun shone through a small break in them, illuminating the shoreline hills just on the other side of the creek channel. I snapped this first picture before I was fully awake.

A moment later I saw the rainbow just a bit more to the North and snapped this picture. I know that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I am sure you understand, having said that, these pictures are no where near as beautiful as the actual scene was. Altogether - awesome!

But what of that opening line... a pretty long, exhausting, nerve rack..... etc. etc.. In the spirit of enjoying a good laugh at myself let me pick up on a story where, with the trailer in tow, I arrive at the end, at the DEAD END, of a very narrow residential street with the closest side street about 1/3 of a mile in back of me!
I think it was in my last post that I was congratulating Becky and I for the great job we did backing that rig into a very narrow spot, literally, in the middle of the woods. Well... hold the applause! My only option was to back that 53 foot long rig up that narrow street, parked cars, nerves racked, locals looking out their doors - was that a movie camera I saw? I could just see it now... the unwilling star on America's Funniest Home Videos!
With Becky in back of me warning off any oncoming cars, I began the process. I would get it backed up 10 or 15 feet, lose sense of which way to turn the steering wheel, and begin to jack-knife the trailer. Pull forward to straighten things out, back up 40', pull forward, back 30' pull forward.......... well, you get the picture! Finally a guy comes out of his house... were those tear streaks down his cheeks? "I drove tractor trailer for 30 years... can I help you?". I looked at him, eyes glazing over, and said, well.... as long as you are here! After about 1/2 hour we finally got that trailer backed onto a side street and he suggested that he would get his car and try to locate the house / street we were looking for. He looks out his car window and says "Stay right there - don't move... we'll be right back!". So he and Becky take off in one direction, and then the other. Finally they found our destination and Becky and I drove to it.
Once there, we unloaded, unpacked, unplugged, winterized and hit the road for the lake house - about an hour away. When we got there (here) Becky's face went blank... she had left the key in her other purse. You got it... the one back in the trailer. So off we go to get the key. And then back to the lake house. All together, we actually crossed the Continental Divide FOUR times that day. The next morning I wanted to go out on the back deck. I grabbed the sliding glass door handle and pulled it open - without unlocking it. The dammm back door was unlocked. I could have saved two and a half hours of driving, and two Continental Divide crossings if I only took the time to walk around to the back of the house and checked the doors!
Well.... I've got about five weeks to recuperate before worrying about backing that trailer out of the driveway we left it in. And I will be leaving a trail of bread crumbs from there to the Interstate when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment