Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Playing Catch Up......

Procrastination and Retirement are an odd couple to say the least. You would think that a retiree would have plenty of time to get things done. Well, Becky and I are retired but I procrastinate with the best of them. I haven't figured out yet how it is that I cannot find time to do all the things that I want to, or that needs to be done. I'll worry about that tomorrow.

In the mean time, last month Becky and I went out on a 3 masted schooner called The Heron. Johnny Depp has a movie coming out next year called "The Rum Diary" or some such. A character in the movie, Sanderson, owns a schooner and as it turns out, it is The Heron. The boat is 100 feet long and accommodates up to 30 passengers. The skipper, wife, and 12 year old daughter live on board. They spend their summers here in Rockport, Maine, taking folks out on 3 different sailings a day.

We went on the "Lobster Roll Lunch" sail. At about the turn-around point, the first mate serves, well, what you see pictured here. The name of the sail tells it all.

Just about this time of year, they sail The Heron to the Bahamas and offer 3 sails a day to the folks down there. Back and forth. The Capt'n sailed about an hour and a half North along the coast up to Belfast, turned around, and sailed back South to Rockport. I am not sure how fast we were going when he laid the boat into the wind in the picture below, but we were definately moving.
In all it was a 3 hours sail on an absolutely beautiful day and this is my favorite picture of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment