Friday, October 16, 2009

Camping on the Mohawk

Yesterday I mentioned that we were camping for a few days on the Mohawk River. Here's our rig with a waterfront view of the river. The Mohawk, which extended nearly all the way to the Great Lakes, was a main water highway through the lands of the five nations of the Iroquois Confederacy. The Mohawk Indians in particular traveled down it in their canoes, bringing furs to trade with the Dutch.
Well anyway... we had a tough day yesterday and I was "sleeping in" this morning, at least trying! At about 6:30am, my eyes opened wide to a symphony of HONKS . A "squadron" of Canadian Geese decided to let us know that they had arrived.

Once I got my coffee perked, I went outside and sat on the picnic table and enjoyed the music and sights.

One final thought... those geese had better rest up fast, get pointed South.... and get the flock out of here. With morning temperatures in the 20's and 30's, those feathered friends haven't much time to get to greener pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment